Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK)
Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK) is a free program offering older Kansans an opportunity to talk with trained, volunteer counselors and get answers to questions about Medicare and other insurance issues. SHICK provides you with many resources that will help you with your struggle through the Medicare maze.
Are you turning 65 and wondering how to sign up for Medicare? Maybe you know how to sign up but need assistance figuring out what Medicare Supplement you need, or maybe you are wondering how to sign up or switch Medicare Part D Plans. If you would like help with Medicare issues, stop by the Wabaunsee County Extension Office, or set up an appointment to talk with Bernadette for one-on-one assistance.
Wabaunsee County SHICK Counselor:
Family & Consumer Sciences Agent
Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D)
• Insurance that covers both generic and brand name prescriptions
• Coverage is provided through private insurance companies
• Many types of plans are available (Most people will pay a monthly premium for Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage.)
If you have Medicare only
• Enrollment in a Prescription Drug Plan is not automatic.
• If you want prescription coverage, you must choose a plan.
• Most people will pay a monthly premium, and may have deductibles, co-pays and a coverage gap.
• Waiting to enroll may result in a higher premium.
• Extra Help is available for people with limited income and resources.
If you have both Medicare and Medicaid
• You will get almost all your drugs through Medicare rather than Medicaid.
• You will be automatically enrolled in a Part D plan.
• The auto-enrolled plan may not be the best one for you. You should shop and compare plans to see if another plan will give you better coverage.
• You will be able to change plans at any time.
• You will automatically receive help paying the premiums, deductibles and co-pays of your Medicare Prescription Drug coverage.